-->
no
no

Fix It Friday: Let's Focus on Care Too

11 comments

I haven't been able to do any repair since last week with the zipper as I am clearing work in preparation for the school holidays next week. School holidays mean no break for me but hopefully I can fit in some time for sewing.



Let's Focus on Care

Recently pages of my Calvin and Hobbes books fell out. The books themselves are quite old, but because of years of use (and maybe the fact that the pages aren't sewn together), they just decided to come apart. However, it dawned on me that rather than focus on REPAIR, perhaps it is equally important to CARE for the things we love and this in turn will increase the love we have for them. After all, we want to strengthen the connection with the things we enjoy using.

Afterthought - take the Calvin and Hobbes book for example. Do I toss it or carefully place it on the coffee table? Do I make sure it's dust free? There are so many things to think about.

Caring For Our Clothes

How do you care for your clothes to make them last longer? I'll be sharing my tips next week!

This is part of the Fix It Friday series. Don't forget to sign up for the actual mending meet up next Friday, 20 March. Sign up here http://onemakergroup.sg/product/fix-it-friday-series/



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

11 comments

  1. You are right, if we took a bit more care things would last longer in the first place. I think I needed to hear this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying so hard to teach my kids this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thanks! This is such a good topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking care of our things is very important in our house, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your thoughts. I'm not sure I do anything special to care for my clothes to make them last longer but in the last couple of years I have been wearing them until they wear out. I used to just add, add, add to my clothes when I was working but when I quit my job I majorly downsized and have a pretty small wardrobe. When something is completely worn out, I try to think of other ways I can use the fabric to make another project. :) I just read a blog post by Artsy Fartsy Mama last week where she took her daughter's worn out leggings, made shorts for her daughter, and cute leggings for her daughter's doll. Love that! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I went through major downsizing when I quit my job, but it's good to hear you wear them literally to rags. Some people don't do that anymore. Thanks for popping over :-)

      Delete
  6. This is a great lesson that I try to instill in my little ones from very early ages, especially about caring for books. Sometimes it seems like we have have more books than we can neatly store, but they learn from about 18 months that we don't write in books and we take care of them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I do notice that kids copy what the parents do so it's good to be a role model for them.

      Delete
  7. Some may not agree, but I wash my clothes as little as possible... Obviously, some items need to be washed more frequently, but others don't... Like my pajamas or the jeans I only wear when I go somewhere... :-) I also love to upcycle just about anything... One of the projects I am starting this week is making a throw rug using t-shirts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, Sherri! Some people throw them in the wash just after wearing their clothes for maybe 1 hour? I can understand if its after a workout but if it's just to pop down to the supermarket.... Look forward to seeing your rug!

      Delete
  8. Great post! My kids are older now so they actually take better care of their clothes but when they were younger, it was a struggle.

    ReplyDelete

no
no