-->
no
no

Fix It Friday - How to Fix Tears #1

No comments



It's not a good feeling when you suddenly rip your clothes. One of the ladies who visited the Sustainable Living Lab's repair cafe at the Singapore Mini Maker Faire had bought a cardigan that got torn when she fell off her bike - she was explaining how it was her favourite cardigan and she felt terrible after it tore.  We taught her how to use interfacing to patch up some of the tears. Two Fix It Friday's ago, we looked at interfacing for mending torn cushions. Today, we are looking at tears in clothes, and I have a real live example!  It's actually a black top I was refashioning. I was ripping the seam between the bust and the main body when all of a sudden a loud "RIIIP!" shattered the silence in the living room. Yes, it was that bad, and even my husband gave me a shocked look. I think what was really difficult about this repair was that it the garment is made from cotton and rather thin. It didn't help that it was black. 

Find Interfacing of Similar Colour to Garment 

I used single-sided interfacing to iron onto the wrong side of the tear. To be honest, I found it difficult keeping the tear together as the it was in the bust area - the fabric refused to lie flat!  When I had successfully ironed on the interfacing, I could still see the interfacing !  One of my readers, Karen from Rude Record advised that I should use black interfacing.

Question : Where can I get black interfacing in Singapore?

Improvise

Having the white interfacing showing up on a black garment wasn't going to work. I decided to make it a pleat on the bust so that the white showing up on the right side of the fabric would disappear.  This is what it looks like on the wrong side.





Here it is on the right side! 


But what if we don't want a pleat? Stay tuned for next week's Fix It Friday!
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

No comments

Post a Comment

no
no