-->
no
no

Fix It Friday - Quick Fix with Fusible Web

9 comments

Some of us can get very busy and not have enough time to take on garment repair work, but there is an easy alternative and that is fusible web. This is useful for reinforcing fabric that is thinning, and holes that are not completely "holey" yet, for example, cuts / slits. Fusible web can also be used in creating patches to cover holes, but I will cover that in another blog post!




What is Fusible Web?
Fusible web is like glue except it's on the surface of a man-made piece of fabric. Once you iron it, the glue will melt and adhere to your project. It can be bought as single-sided or double-sided fusible web, meaning glue is on one side or on both sides of the fusible web. There are different weights of fusible web, and each serves a different purpose. Heavy webs are used to stiffen fabric eg. necklines, collars and bags. 

My repair
Recently, I discovered that my upcycled cushions were being used as weapons by my son and his friends during play dates! I think the cushions suffered some stress as one ended up torn (I ended up deconstructing it for a workshop), and the other was roughed up with torn corners. I fixed the latter with double sided fusible web. Here's how to!




Step 1. Measure out and cut your fusible web
Cut the web one or two inches larger than the area of the hole.  For me, I went overboard and went from corner to corner of the cusion - kiasu mah! (Singapore slang for "don't want to lose out")

Where I buy my fusible web: 
Spotlight Singapore (Plaza Singapura) - different weights, Wonder Under (double sided) available
Lye Nai Shiong (#02-1018A, People's Park Complex Food Center) - a lot cheaper than Spotlight!


Step 2. Cut same size of fabric
Choose fabric of similar colour and type to your project. I used fabric to reinforce the cushion a bit more. You don't have to do this if you are using single sided fusible web




Step 3. Iron on fusible web


Fusible web has a glue side and usually looks shiny. If in doubt, hold it up to the light and you will see the glue blobs on the glue side. Do check first as ironing on the glue side will create havoc for you (and your iron)!

Place web glue side down onto the wrong-side of your repair work - I turned my cushion inside-out. Then use an iron on a low heat setting, and work it to glue the fabric and web together! Do not use high heat settings or over iron as the glue will just seep into the fabric instead of gluing the two surfaces together. 

Tip: if you are using single sided fusible web, you might want to use some fabric between the iron and the web. 

You are done if you're using single sided fusible web! Yah, that easy! For double sided, read on!

Step 4. Peal off fusible web backing



Step 5. Iron on scrap fabric over fusible web





Once this is done, that's it. I took it a step further as I realised to reinforce it (the holes were quite large - I did a few tiny back stitches per hole.





Here is the final cushion cover. Hopefully it will last a bit longer, or perhaps I should ban cushion fights in the home!  Until next Friday :-)





author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

9 comments

  1. good job! wow, i would have just thrown out the cover and gotten a new one. hehe, must have sentimental value. on another note, i *heart* lye nai siong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! My pillow case has a hole, this is a brilliant idea to repair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Waiwai. Share your before and after with us! :-)

      Delete
  3. Another option would be to continue the patchwork theme and add other colorful applique patches to the corners to cover the holes and strengthen the material. Your use of tiny stitches to further strengthen the mend is excellent for an interior mend. Recycled material does have the down-side of being fragile, sometimes.. Pillowcase fights are lots of fun...low-tech & high energy and should not be banned! If that cushion has sentimental value, try making your son his own pillows for play...recycled denim or another less delicate material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why hadn't I thought of continuing the patchwork theme! Would have turned out more colourful ! Thank you for the tip, Laura!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post Agy
    I really should try using it (but I'm lazy when it comes to fixing things)
    I think you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Winnie. I get lazy at times :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome Agy! Thanks for sharing. Besides Spotlight and Lye Nai Shiong, where else do you think sells fusible webs? Spotlight is really ex, and it's hard to find one in normal stores.

    ReplyDelete

no
no