-->
no
no

Greeny Crafter - Adventures of Lauren

1 comment
Fiddling with electronics and scrap fabric!
Last weekend was very busy for me. I was busy helping out at the 26-hour #Startathon (yes, it was overnight!) and teaching a few of the participants how to sew wearable electronics. I was pretty happy that three of the teams used textiles as part of their projects, although I think my sewing machine just refused to cooperate with one gentleman, and ended up breaking two needles on him!  They were a fabric pocket to contain picture cards for autistic kids, and two fabric bands containing electronics for tracking health. 


This week's Greeny Crafter is Lauren. She took up sewing because of her love for another hobby of hers - belly dancing! Read more below!



Hi everyone! I'd like to thank Agy for inviting me to be a guest poster. My name is Lauren and I blog over at the Adventures of Lauren. My blog is mostly focused on refashioning and sewing but I also have a little bit of gluten free cooking and some bellydancing. I am so excited to share some of my back story on how I got started with refashioning and how refashioning can be simple and easy.

How I got started with refashioning

Basically, I began to learn to sew because I was bellydancing on a regular basis. I began to get so tired of none of the costumes I spent my hard earned money on that never fit and fell apart quickly. It was really expensive to pay someone to alter it. I figured I could learn how to do this, and started out slowly. I then said, well hey I can probably make an entire costume by myself. Take this Starry Nights costume, I beaded all this by myself.




Now I could bead like it was nobody's business. And I thought I could start sewing clothing that didn't sparkle. You know, something I could wear to my day job as a scientist. Fabric can get expensive and I didn't want to spend money on fabric that I might ruin. And at this time I started to shop at the Thrift Stores like Goodwill to find some great bargains. So that is how I started refashioning and sewing. I enjoyed it so much that I gave up an entire year of traditional clothing shopping to only refashion and sew. What I got from that year was me saving a lot of money, I was hospitalized a lot from being sick and even with insurance a racked up a lot of medical bills. I also opened up some creativity and I learned how to sew.

Refashioning can be simple and easy!

Refashioning does not have to be complicated. Life gets busy and crazy. A lot of times, most clothes just need just a little fix. Today, I am going to show you sometimes all you need to do is fix a little hem. A hem is quick and easy and can quickly change the look of a garment! Here are some of my favorite hem fixes!




 

 

 

So for all 5 refashions all I did was just hem them! So even with a busy schedule, refashioning can be easy. Hope you enjoyed my post. This year I am challenging myself to do 99 refashions or 8.25 every month (hey I'm a scientist I do a lot of math, I can't help myself!). Come check them out at my blog

Thanks again Agy for the invite!

Cheers,
Lauren
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

1 comment

  1. It's so interesting to hear how people get started doing what they do! Thanks for sharing! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete

no
no