-->
no
no

Upcycled Jeans Roundup (and a bit of history!)

9 comments


I was just looking back at the jean projects I had done and thought it was a good idea to put them all together in one post! Everyone wears jeans. According to Danny Miller, anthropologist and author of Blue Jeans, almost half of every countries' population wears jeans.  These garments were originally designed as work wear for labourers who toiled in mines and farms in the American west during the 19th century.   A Nevadan tailor called Jacob Davis increased their durability with rivets and because they lasted longer, the jeans became popular. Well, Mr. Davis had the opportunity to patent this design, but unfortunately, as it cost a lot to do so, he couldn't. He therefore, called fabric supplier, the San Francisco merchant, Levi Strauss, for help, and the rest is fashion history (although Levi's patent expired in 1908)! 



How?

By the 1950s, jeans were seen as a sign of rebellion - Marlon Brando and James Dean wore jeans in their movies and even off-screen - the horror! Schools took to banning it from the classroom, and by the 1960s, jeans became part of the flower power movement, democracy protests and worn as a sign of support for the working class.

Denim lasts a long time, and in the olden days people expected their jeans to last an extremely long time (maybe even their entire working life!). In fact, Levi's received a complaint from a miner in the early 1900s as to why his pair lasted only 3 years having worn them everyday except Sundays! But in recent years, many throw their jeans after wearing them only a few times, contributing to growing waste problems.  So why not check out some of the refashioning ideas in this post? :-)

My ideas!

1. Jean pocket cutlery holders; 2. Jeans to bangles; 3. Jeans to bangles (part 2)

Here are my fave finds on the web:

SimpleDIYs shows how you can distress your old jeans without having to go to the store to buy one. She's also got other great tutorials too!



Pam at Threading My Way has made great baskets from jeans!


Awesome jean potholders by Jill at Creating My Way to Success


Mini neck / shoulder purses by Sewing for Utange .


And since Christmas is just around the corner (3 more months, folks!), what about this lovely stocking by Lynn at Nebraska Views!



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

9 comments

  1. The Christmas stocking is so adorable!! One of the first things that I made when I restarted sewing again was a bag made from upcycled jeans and curtains. I also made some cute little owls using the same pair of jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great denim refashioning ideas there Agy - thanks so much for featuring my pot holders. I love your jeans tissue holder! I think I might make my girls some for the back of the car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great roundup, Agy!!! Thanks for including my Denim Fabric Baskets. Jeans were not common place in the 60 and 70s, almost exclusively being worn by the young. I can remember raised eyebrows on a few occasions when older people thought it inappropriate that we were wearing them to particular events. Now you can wear them almost anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine what they must have thought when people wore jeans to church! I think it's acceptable now but I have seen someone wear jeans to a wedding dinner!!!

      Delete
  4. Great ideas! Those fabric baskets are cute :). I just love using recycled jeans as a material for new products! So far I have made a pouf (which required a lot of work, but I am happy with the result). It's here: http://www.neovias.blogspot.fi/2013/09/recycled-denim-pouf.html (sorry, no tutorial). I plan to do more, with tutorials also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh awesome! I actually turned a pair of my fat jeans into a fun clutch

    heres a picture of it:
    http://instagram.com/p/WXqnPRG9dq/

    thats a picture of it! I need to go back through and re stich it with my sewing machine for a more polished look but it was a fun little project. It gets a lot of attention since it's a crotch clutch jeje.

    -Luis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your new clutch, and I think the idea of using the fly as the opening is cute!

      Delete

no
no