-->
no
no

My Resort Chic Top

18 comments
One of my good friends got married yesterday and the attire was resort-chic. It meant that we didn't have to come in fancy stuff and my hubby didn't have to wear a suit! Think neutrals and colours.  I decided to make a top from this extremely late 80s/early 90s style skirt I had.  It was calf length and a bit awkward but I love the colours and didn't want to give it away.


In this project, I didn't use a sewing machine, only a needle, pink embroidery thread, a pair of scissors, sewing chalk and my glue gun. Sorry, I don't have exact measurements.




The before!

The after! Does it give you a resort feel?



First step:
Measure from shoulder to wherever you want your top to end.
Cut the skirt to length

I had cut off a good 8 inches so I cut that into four 2 inch strips of fabric. I then opened the left and right seams of the top of the skirt - this is where the arms will go.


I added darts to the top of the front and back panels 


Second step:
Darts in the middle, left and right. Use your chalk & ruler!


Third step:
Used my trusty hot glue gun to glue the darts.
I didn't use a sewing machine as the top of the skirt was
elasticated and thus too thick for any needle!


Fourth step
While waiting for the glue to dry, I made a plait
from 3 strips of fabric.

Fifth step
I sewed the plait along the top edge of the front panel
and then the back panel.
Made sure I could fit my arms in
though!
Final step was to tidy up the fraying ends at the bottom of the top and at the sides of the arm holes. Here I did a blanket stitch with my pink embroidery thread.   


I hope you like it! I also made a flower with the 4th strip of fabric.... I'll be putting a tute on that soon!   Here is the link.  Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! :-)



You might like this!

shibori

author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

18 comments

  1. Very pretty! I would never have thought of using a glue gun (I don't own one anyway) but it seems to work quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, very chic. Love the fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!
    @poet - the glue gun was an act of desperation! My needle snapped when I ran my machine over the elastic, and I couldn't manally push them in either. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Beautiful fabric and great idea with the braiding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @charityshopchic - thank you for visiting. The fabric is really comfortable and given the hot weather we're having now, I'm gonna wear it a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute!! Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute top...would like to see what the top of the skirt looked like...it was cut off in my photo....it was just a simple elasticized waist?? Also...I need clarification of the darts....were they vertical to take up fullness in the middle of the top, or angled horizontally in the bust area??? Thanks for clarifying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becky, thanks for your comment. The skirt was a simple elasticized one and the darts were vertical. I didn't have any angled darts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this top u made and thank u for the tutorial. I have been wanting to make one with gathers. Ur idea for the braided plait is great. U look beautiful in ur new top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MYYYYY! Absolutely LOVELY, and so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right about the skirt! That fabric is beautiful and looks lovely against your beautiful skin! I really like the top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colour too. And the styling is great. Also thanks for the glue gun tip. From Karen @ Bowerbirds Journal on Facebook.

    PS Hope you had a lovely time at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply chic. I like plaid, icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete

no
no