-->
no
no

Upcycling My Maternity Dress

21 comments



You wore it for nine months...

It was part of your identity as an expecting mother...

And now it sits in your wardrobe, too beautiful to throw away. 

I had a denim maternity dress with a white paisely print on it. I loved wearing it.....but of course it can't be worn as a maternity dress now. It could be donated to the thrift shop, or passed onto a pregnant friend, but it had to be transformed! Maternity clothes are designed to accomodate the expanding tummy, and usually come with

wide hips and waist....

lower front hem.....


upcycled maternity wear

What do you do?


Make a Skirt!

a) Cut in half

I just chopped off the bottom to make a skirt. The top can be adjusted at the sides to make another top....but first, let's concentrate on the bottom!


upcycled maternity wear

b) Adjust the hem
The front panel is always made slightly longer than the back one so adjust the longer one by unpicking and realigning the edge so that both edges match.

upcycled maternity wear



















c) Elasticate it!

I decided to elasticate the skirt. It was either that or making it form fitting and adding a zipper. I don't like handling zips so the elastic band it was!

I folded the cut portion down and made a tube for the elastic to be inserted inside.


upcycled maternity wear

Like it? Have you upcycled your maternity wear?


upcycled maternity wear


Hey, I upcycled the top as well! Read more here.


You might also like:






author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

21 comments

  1. Beautiful fabric, Agy and a great refashion. Too good to give the original away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the handy tip about the hem! I love these easy wear skirts with no zips too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these wonderful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Love all your upcycling ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! It looks wonderful as a skirt. And I really love the jacket into the dress pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful that you were able to up-cycle something which carries so many fond and precious memories of carrying a child. It looks really great on too!

    I just thought I'd let you know that I've nominated you for a Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! - http://bit.ly/SOTWBA I hope you stop by and join in the fun!

    xxx

    http://www.missnicklin.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I think this is really cute! For me, though, after wearing them as much as I did (three kids in four years) they were all in terrible shape AND I never wanted to see them again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I wish I was that handy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea and a great way to get more wear out of your maternity clothes that you wear for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great upcycle. It looks like I'm not the only one who gets emotionally attached to clothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So creative! It doesn't look like an upcycle. Such a cute skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome idea! It looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is amazing. I have a whole tub of my maternity clothes still and I should look through them and do something similar. I really love the top you paired with the skirt, too!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That upcycled skirt turned out so cute. My kids have requested all of my maternity clothes so they can use them for sewing projects. I think it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great money saving idea for clothes that will never be worn again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these transformations! I especially like what you did with the second dress. Thank you for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is genius!! Do you know how many outfits I have in a rubbermaid bin in the attic??? You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great upcycle. I donated all my maternity clothes, but I was so sad when I did it. I love that you get to keep and use something from that time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are SO talented and creative. Love this idea! I have a friend who made her maternity jeans into curtains for their camper in theirs girl's room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This turned out beautiful! I never think to upcycle my clothes... they usually go to a friend. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a cool & comfortable refashion!

    ReplyDelete

no
no