-->
no
no

Women Make 85% of Purchasing Decisions in a Household

9 comments


International Women's Day may have been last week, but I thought I should share this:

" Mothers are the gateway to sales — women make 85% of purchasing decisions in a household, and often that women is a mom. She's not just buying for herself; she's also buying for the baby, the toddler, the teenager and for the entire soccer team. And she's not just buying Cheerios and baby wipes — she's purchasing electronics and other household items, sometimes even from her smartphone, since 70% of moms now own smartphones."  Extracted from article "Marketing to Moms" Mashable 

We Have the Power

So, this means that women have the power to influence and possibly control the consumer economy, and we have the power to make consumer choices that can make our lives greener and healthier.  How can we do that? I know we all have weaknesses when it comes to shopping (it happens) but here are a few tips.

#1 Buy Only What You Need

Do you really need extra pair of shoes? Does your child need the new pencil case?



#2 Make It!

If you have time, make it! Plus it's a fun way to get the family involved and spend some quality time together. 

If you want to upcycle, check out my refashions and upcycles. Making is also a good way to teach the kids perseverance and patience.

#3 Go Fresh

Of course Make It also covers what we eat too. Try not to buy processed foods - I know we all love snacks like potato chips and biscuits from the store, but perhaps we can make our own, or eat nature's snack, fruit, instead.





#4 Read the Labels (on anything!)

It might say "natural" or "sugar-free" on the packaging, but always read the labels before you decide whether to buy it. There are some E numbers, additives and colourings that you would want to avoid.  




The best place to read up more on this is Environmental Working Group. They even have shopper's guides.


Read the labels of the clothing you buy too. Where was it made? What type of materials are going into the garment - synthetic or natural? Different textiles will require different care - which methods will have a smaller impact ? Will the garments you buy last long? Learn some tips here




#5 Go Vegetarian....

...once a week (or more if you can)! I found this great site that shares vegetarian recipes  http://www.kiipfit.com/. Gunjan, the author, shares a range of organic and vegetarian recipes covering breakfast to snacks!They look yummy too. And remember, always eat in moderation :-)





#6 Go Toxic Free

I was going to say "chemical-free", but then everything is a chemical - salt, sugar, even the water we drink.  And if we drink too much water we can get water poisoning. So, lets get rid of the toxins. I've successfully done that with some of my cleaning agents, my laundry and most of my toiletries. 

Again, the best resource is Environmental Working Group

What tips do you have to make your household greener and healthier?

Do you think women can influence the consumer economy?
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

9 comments

  1. Love this! So true. Thanks for reminding me to be a smart, eco-friendly shopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Amy. Thanks for popping over.

      Delete
  2. Great resourceful post! And it's so true - women have the power to change the priorities in our society! I wrote a post on the top R's for living greener: http://juicygreenmom.ca/rave-earth-day/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by. I love your post and totally agree with having a REFUSE as part of the top Rs.

      Delete
  3. Great post, I do think that women have a BIG effect on the consumer economy.. I know I shop a lot. I love your idea of upcycling, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn. You should try out the upcycling. It can get addictive!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Agy! Long time since I have visited...love this post, it is so much my own philosophy and you articulated it so beautifully.

    Thanks for being the advocate for something so important.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to do the upcycling and make my own meals from scratch, I'd struggle to get my male dominated family to go vegetarian for more than a meal a week though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true that it's often the women who have this power and we should make the most of it to influence who we can!

    ReplyDelete

no
no