-->
no
no

Greeny Crafter: HHS 好貨設

1 comment

I'm still revamping my blog. As you can see, I have a tab at the menu bar that doesn't work. I'm supposed to be putting my categories up there but I need to consolidate all my categories - I just have too many! 

Anyway, it's Greeny Crafter time! I first met Hui Shan of HHS 好貨設 at the Singapore Maker Meet in March. She used to be an accountant, and decided that design suited her best. Read about her journey below.



Why did you start HHS 好貨設 (hǎo huò shè)?
Hello Agatha, first of all, thank you so much for inviting me to share on your blog. Hello readers, I am Hui Shan and I am from Singapore. I was trained in Accountancy and left my job as a tax consultant to pursue my passion in design and entrepreneurship.

I started HHS 好貨設 (good stuff in Chinese) in 2013 when I was a freelance graphic designer. HHS is a business with a socio and eco angle, which puts together chic lifestyle products (e.g. bags, wallets, gadget sleeves and cases) from across the globe, and with a heart for the Earth and the lives it supports. All products are made from eco-friendly materials such as pure linen, recycled newspaper, recycled plastic bottles and unexpected ones like regenerated leather, cork, grass and leaves. Most of them are designed and handcrafted by independent artisans and designers. Being handmade, most of our products are customizable and can be personalized with your names. Some of the indie brands we work with in turn support their local communities by paying them fairly for making what we sell. HHS also tries our best to seek opportunities to collaborate with local beneficiaries to increase public awareness and raise funds on their behalves. 

I have always enjoyed making things with my hands since I was a child. I made paper sculptures and clay figurines, and I would prefer to make, than to buy, gifts for my family, teachers and friends anytime. Growing up, I explored making jewelries, cards, money envelopes and red packet lanterns, scrapbooking and personalizing things like my shoes! I have a soft spot for anything handmade because they connect in such a humanly manner and are the best things that celebrate individuality. So, I thought, why not curate handmade things to sell so that I can get to check out lovely products firsthand and meet the people who make them! I was really excited at first but to start a business, that did not offer a unique selling point.

While I was away from the hustle and bustle from the corporate world, I got so overwhelmed by what is happening around us - how many people are struggling to survive, while we complain about not owning the latest phone; how our Earth is struggling to support us, while we take her for granted. Coincidentally, my Dad and Mom are so enthusiastic about recycling and reducing waste that it is rubbing off on me. So after much effort to incorporate the concepts of appreciating human creativity and loving the greens, I started HHS.

Although our resources are limited, we believe that every small effort counts in making the world a better place for everyone and we got to start somewhere. So with HHS, I am hoping to roll out more plans to involve more people in doing good and more importantly right now, to get people to rethink their purchases and spend wisely. As Anna Lappe says, 

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."

What are the products you feature? And why are they so special? Do you make any of them?


I am using a bi-fold card holder in cork. I am very amazed at how soft cork, which comes from the bark of oak trees, feels in the hands, while being eco-friendly. And, it behaves like leather! It is water-resistant, smooth, durable and easy to maintain. Cork is harvested every 9 years without harming or killing the trees. It is a 100% sustainable and renewable resource.

Camera Strap in Nude/Wood Cork Medium

Camera Strap in Nude Cork Small (option to personalize)

I really want to introduce our curated camera straps in two cork textures - nude and wood. You can personalize the straps by having your name embroidered on them. The more compelling reason why I choose to feature this product is because it is one of the products that is made by the less privileged community we work with. So each time someone buys such product from HHS, a needy person benefits from it.

iPad/Tablet/Laptop Sleeve in Regenerated Leather Paper

Tablet or Laptop Sleeve in Regenerated Leather Paper (customizable 11" to 15")

Gadget sleeves come in sizes 6-8", 8-11" and 11-15"

I briefly mentioned regenerated leather paper earlier. This is an interesting material because it is the same as that used to produce the brown denim label sewn at the back of your jeans. That means, our curated products made from regenerated leather paper are washable, extremely tough and tear and water-resistant. Like the label, it also ages and distresses with use to give a texture uniquely yours. Regenerated leather paper, as the name suggests, are produced from leather scraps, therefore reducing waste. Our curated regenerated leather paper sleeves are customizable for all gadget sizes, from iPad Mini to laptops.

iPad Mini/iPad Envelope in Cork
iPad Mini Envelope in Grunge Cork
Comes in grunge or nude cork
When our curated iPad Mini/iPad Envelopes were first launched over our booth at one of the flea markets, they were very well-received and were sold out, including the display pieces. To our pleasant surprise, they were very popular as clutches for the ladies! They are soft, chic and convenient - each comes with a zipper pocket at the back which is good for small items like cards, mobile phone and notes.

Zip Around Clutches

Zip Around Clutch Fuchsia

As featured on a television program on Channel U (《潮人攻略》Style: Check-In), the felt Zip Around Clutches are constructed in such a way that each can be opened flat and easily carried around when folded, especially on an overseas trip as an additional bag. A big plus point is that you are also doing the Earth a good deed as the felt is produced from 100% post consumer recycled plastic bottles!

Currently, I do not sell anything I make because I am not good enough. However, my next plan is to engage the less privileged community that HHS has been working with, through our Hong Kong mates, to produce what I design. I have also completed a sewing beginner's course to better appreciate how the items HHS curates are made. Since then, I have been exploring making things on my sewing machine! With more practice, I hope to produce what I sell.

c) What DIY upcycling projects have you done?

I have recently started sharing my new and emerging interest in recycled crafts on HHS blog. As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure! Some of the upcycling projects I have done are coasters (from leftover tiles), drawstring bag (from the sleeve of an oversized robe), small gift box (from empty milk carton and jute twine) and multipurpose stationery holder (from unwanted bed sheet and empty milk carton)

Drink coasters (from paper scraps and leftover tiles)

Find out more about HHS:
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

1 comment

  1. Love the look of your blog, Agy!
    You made some great changes, lately, congrats <3
    Don't worry too much about non-working tabs... just a little :)
    And thanks for introducing us Hui Shan... she's an artist! I loved the camera strap: adorable!
    Hugs from Italy,
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete

no
no