-->
no
no

Junky Styling : Wardrobe Surgery

10 comments



Before the terms "refashioning" and "upcycling" were coined, there was "Junky Styling".  Back in the nineties, two creative teenagers, Kerry Seager and Annika Sanders wanted clothes that would make them look unique, but as they didn't have any money, they started remaking old clothes into new styles. Their line of upcycled clothes was embraced by the high street and celebrities, including Livia Firth, who wore a dress made by the Junky Styling team from Colin Firth's moth-eaten suits.





"Junky Styling: Wardrobe Surgery"

Kerry and Annika, like all makers, have an open-source spirit. They published a book "Junky Styling: Wardrobe Surgery", which not only details their accidental journey into refashioning, but provides tutorials on some of their signature pieces. They are easy to follow and I don't think you will get lost (like I do with most sewing patterns). You might remember that they did several how-to's for The Guardian in 2009, and I posted the trousers-to-top one on my blog back then! 


When I found out about the book (via an upcycling community called Bowerbirds Journal), I had to go and get it.  I managed to get a copy at the library, and really enjoyed reading it. Not because it had a lot of photos (well, it does help!), but because the authors were very personal and were frank that it was not an easy journey, particularly during the initial stages of Junky Styling's conception. Two points that stuck with me are:

a) How Kerry and Annika initially wondered whether they should have taken professional sewing or tailoring lessons.  I have always thought about this for myself, especially since I'm relying on what my mother taught me. It does cost quite a bit though, so that's what is holding me back.

b) They partnered and collaborated with people who believed in them. They met the right people at the right time - I suppose you could call this fated, but working with the right people is really important to me as well. 


Do check out the book! Unfortunately, I found out that they are no longer in business, but still pursuing their passion in alternative ventures.   Next week, I'll be reviewing another refashioning book, so stay tuned.


Linking up with http://sergerpepper.com/2014/02/tell-tuesday.html
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

10 comments

  1. what a great book, I've never heard of it... my fault!
    Thanks for sharing it, Agy
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agy what a great review of this book. Thank you for mentioning that you were introduced to it via my Facebook group Bowerbirds Journal a close knit upcycling community that nests with you and is inspired by you and your blog. I personally am very grateful for the opportunity to network with Green Issues on all things RE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agy what a great review of this book. Thank you for mentioning that you were introduced to it via my Facebook group Bowerbirds Journal a close knit upcycling community that nests with you and is inspired by you and your blog. I personally am very grateful for the opportunity to network with Green Issues on all things RE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of upcycling clothing. I just haven't found time to try it much. My daughter cuts the sleeves and necks of her t shirts all the time to make them fit better. Thanks for sharing the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to this month's Share The Love Blog Hop.
    Now following you via GFC

    Natasha @ Serenity You

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. Haven't heard of this book! Pinning and sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fabulous article Agy. I have made a note of this book and intend to look out for it. Thank you for sharing it with us. A most informative read/ review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic post Agy. I will look out for the book. Your review is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds wonderful! Next time I go to the States I'll look for it at the library and probably then buy it. Thanks so much for the interesting review! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete

no
no