-->
no
no

Lost your creativity?

1 comment
One of my favourite books!


Get it back! Well, I don't think you can lose your creativity, it's like riding a bicycle - once you have it it won't go away but maybe it's moments when your mind goes blank and you can't really think of what to make.  Maybe you have fallen out of practice?  I have been feeling like this for the past few months with my refashioning. I usually tell my workshop participants that I find inspiration from my wardrobe and window shopping, but lately.... blank.... It feels like my brain has been emptied and sapped of energy.  Over the past month, I have realised there are creativity killers and creativity boosters.  Here are the things that I have experienced. Do you have any tips on boosting your creativity when it comes to getting crafty? Share them here :-)




Creativity Killers

These are the things that take your mind away to "la la" land. They make you procrastinate! They make you "forget" reality and your responsibilities. 

Stop surfing the internet aimlessly

Unless you there is an objective to what you are doing on the computer/smart phone/iPad, or are doing something related to your work, shut down your device and walk away.  You don't want to know what your "friends" are doing on Facebook, and you don't need to watch back-to-back episodes on YouTube. 

Stop playing computer games

If you have a smart phone, it's highly likely you will have played some sort of computer game on it. I know of friends who have been playing Angry Birds, and now Candy Crush for hours on end. 

Stop watching too much TV

This goes without saying!

Stop stress before it happens - Learn how to say "no"

When I get stressed up, either of two things can happen. Either I get really creative or I just lose it altogether. I found that I get stressed when I just have too much piled up, and so for me, I just have to learn how to say "no". As someone who freelances, you might think that it is a good thing to have lots of enquiries in your email box, but you have to be selective and agree to work that you are comfortable with and fits your style. There's no point in getting all tied up inside only to find that you cannot deliver creatively.



Creativity Boosters

Relax! 

I take long walks, go swimming and have some "me" time. Usually I'll treat myself to a nice slice of cake and chai tea (my favourite). These breaks help to clear my mind, and when I come back to my desk, I feel refreshed and ready to rock and roll!


Walk To The Beach

Go to the library and borrow a book!

Libraries are a great resource of inspiration, but you don't have to borrow a book related to your craft. Just reading relaxes the mind and gives you a break. Maybe you'll chance upon something that will kickstart your creativity! I've found many gems in my local library :-)


Carry a notebook

I don't mean the computer-type of notebook.  I'm talking about the little ones that you can write your ideas in. I find these a lot better than writing into your smart phone  - it won't hang or crash. When you're sitting down relaxing, you can doodle in, jot down anything you can see or hear. Don't forget your pen / pencil!


Hangout with like-minded people

Like-minded people are great for bouncing off ideas - you might not have an idea but if they share theirs with you, the creativity can start flowing.  It's also a good chance to collaborate. I'm very grateful to the friends I have made in the Singapore maker community.

Finally, slow down! 

This is the most important point that I want to share. What's the hurry? Appreciate the beauty of our surroundings.  One of the best books I have read (or rather used) is How to be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith, and this is my favourite takeaway page. Enjoy, and hope you can get your creativity back!








author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

1 comment

no
no