-->
no
no

DIY Weaving Loom

9 comments


At the beginning of the year, I was very interested in weaving my own coasters. I made a few here and put up a tutorial in the same link.  Now the cardboard weaving loom is really tatty and the all the "pegs" are not sturdy enough to hold the weave.  I decided to "upgrade" into something more sturdy - plastic biscuit boxes.  If I had the woodwork skills, I would make it out of wood, but upcycling a plastic one will have to do for now. 


What you need:
a) Sturdy plastic box - the bigger the box, the bigger your weave product. 
b) Craft knife - a pen knife will also do the job but you have more control with a craft knife.
c) Marker pen and ruler
d) Optional - craft paper and glue to decorate.

Along opposite edges of the box, make 5mm marks. Each mark should have a corresponding mark on the opposite side.  I used my old cardboard loom as a reference.




Using your craft knife, make v-shaped troughs where the marks were made. Boxes with the number 5 marked on them do not work, unfortunately. I tried to carefully mark and cut the "pegs" with craft knife but ended up splitting the plastic (see next picture)



The box I eventually used to make the "pegs" by carving
troughs.
Use a craft knife.


Decorate the outside of your box. I glued craft paper as mine had pictures of biscuits on it.




You are ready weave! Use the same technique as mentioned in my earlier tutorial. 
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

9 comments

  1. wow !!.. ur very creative !!... luv ur new weaving loom ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very creative. I would never have thought of that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treva, you can use a cardboard box too but this one is sturdier!

      Delete
  3. Now I do want to weave something... a table protecting hot pad!! Thanks for sharing your terrific idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JoAnn. A protecting pad is a good idea.

      Delete
  4. That's it! You've made it too simple, now I HAVE to give it a go! Thanks for linking up to the Upcycled Linky Party at http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/11/upcycled-linky-party-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea,. thank you very much

    ReplyDelete

no
no