-->
no
no

How to upcycle your scrap fabric

No comments
How to upcycle your scrap fabric
Ever since I started sewing, my pile of fabric scraps has grown beyond belief. There are tiny pieces the size of my hand and there are others that are double that size but not big enough to sew anything decent. So this scrap pile has just been sitting there looking bored, and when I look at it I think, "what shall I sew with them?", or "what shall I upcycle them into?".  The last time I touched the scrap pile was when I made my kintsugi inspired pair of trousers. Gosh, I love this pair not because it's colourful and unique, but because I spent so much time making it - it was a labour of love! I think it must have taken me about a month to upcycle all those scraps and transform my husband's denim shirt. 

So, what do I upcycle my scraps into? I found this great site, but I was sure there is something that does not involve needle and thread. I decided why not make them into beeswax wraps. They have been all the rage lately, especially with the zero waste community. They are fabric swatches soaked in beeswax, dried and then used to replace plastic cling wrap and aluminium foil. I was hesitant about using them, but after a while I decided to take the plunge.  The first batch I made was with Olivia of The  Tender Gardener.  We melted all the ingredients in a bainmarie and carefully spread the mixture onto the fabric using a brush. 

Olivia explained that it was important to use certified organic beeswax as the wrap would be used with food.  She also added that it was important to prevent the wax from cracking on the fabric and therefore oils such as coconut oil or jojoba should be added. Don't you think they look pretty?

DIY Beeswax Wrap using Fabric Scraps

Olivia and I were very pleased and excited with the results that we decided to conduct a workshop last month. All the ladies were definitely happy with their own wraps. 

DIY Beeswax Wrap Workshop

You can definitely try this at home as we have developed our own DIY Beeswax Wrap Kit in time for Christmas. Each kit costs $49 and includes cerified organic beeswax, certified organic jojoba oil, natural pine rosin, 6 cloths measuring 7"x7" and 9"x9", and a brush. What you will need at home is a heat source (a sauce pan will do), a small glass container (an old jam jar is good), grease proof paper (available at all supermarkets) and an iron. 


DIY Beeswax Wrap Kit


author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

No comments

Post a Comment

no
no