-->
no
no

Fix It Friday - How to Reline Your Haversack (Or Bag)

7 comments
Fix It Friday - How to Reline Your Haversack (Or Bag)
Relining your bag
It's time to throw out your favourite bag - it looks perfect on the outside, but the lining has worn out and it just needs to go. Well, hold that thought! You can re-line your bag, and if it's made from woven textiles then it will be easier.
I relined my son's haversack, the one which required some repairing last year. I had noticed that the wax was coming off and it was starting to wear thin. I was a little hesitant starting the project because I recalled teaching a lady how to do it last year at the Repair Kopitiam and it took her a good 6 hours. It took me around that much time too because in this sewing project, you need to be a) very accurate with your measurements; and b) very patient.  I can't stress these points any further!

relining a bag

Key Materials and Tools
a) I wanted to retain the water-proof nature of the bag so I used PVA-lined fabric bought from the textile centre above People's Park Complex. It was $10 a yard and for a bag, you only need half of that.

relining a bag
b) Microtex sewing machine needles - these are important if you are sewing material which has a plasticky type of lining.

Microtex needles

Step 1 - Measure
Carefully measure all parts of the bag and draw directly onto the fabric - add 1/2 inch for seam allowance. After cutting out the drawn pieces, I had 5 parts - the back, the front, bottom and the two strips right and left of the zipper.

relining a bag

Step 2 - Sew Together
I laid the pieces right side together before sewing them up on the sewing machine. To reinforce the seams, I gently pressed open the seams to one side and stitched on the right side of the fabric.

relining a bag

relining a bag

Step 3 - Sew to the Zipper
I actually had the lining the wrong side out so that I could slip the lining into the bag.
I then used clothes pegs to hold everything in place, and then put the whole thing on the sewing machine - tadah! If your measurements in Step 1 are good, then you won't have any excess in the lining.
relining a bag


Read more tips on how to fix your haversack here.
repair haversack
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

7 comments

  1. Another great tip! Thanks so much for sharing! I really do hate it when a good bag starts to rip on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very talented and always share the best tips! I learn so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learn so much from your post. You're truly talented. thank you for sharing this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought to fix a bag! My daughter's favorite back pack just got torn, I'm going to see if I can fix it instead of throwing it away. Wish me luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just amaze me! I would have nothing thought to do that! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good tip, you always have the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're always so ambitious Agy. And you manage to pull it off too.

    ReplyDelete

no
no