-->
no
no

Artist Feature : Thinking Tsuru

8 comments
Artist Feature : Thinking Tsuru
A solo exhibition at an Artist residency programme with P-10, Perumal Road
The exhibition was named “Please take thisseriously” 2004

Did you know fish bones can be made into art pieces? Or even accessories?
I think most of us would just throw them away after a meal without thinking of giving them a second life.
Well, I didn't know that fish bones could be transformed into beautiful pieces until I met founder of Thinking Tsuru, Bernice Lau, at last October's Maker exhibition at SMU. Here she is wearing her Tsuru as a necklace.


How Did You Get Started?
The Tsuru craft began in 2004 after my personal journeys to my late Grand Aunt’s place. She showed me her creation and quizzed me what material it was. I answered correctly and she started teaching me how to make them ever since. Hence it was adopted as an Art project while I was pursuing my degree and it became addictive for me after her teaching me how to clean and macerate the fish. So far it has been 11 years and she would always come to mind when I clean the fishes.

Originally I would leave the fish bones primed and left it as such remaining natural with dried ferns to display them. However, the tsuru/s are now spray painted or hand painted so that they each have a distinct appearance about them. 


What challenges do you have when working with fish bones?
I had to overcome the fishy odors while treating the fish bones with care. It is a surgical process and since the fish bones are small and prickly, I must be careful not to get poked. The ribbon fish is a predatory eel like fish and has sharp razor like teeth and most fishmongers tell me to be careful with the heads. It also takes hours to clean the flesh from the skeletal structure and the process of sun drying them takes about 2 to 3 days with substantial sunlight.

Cleaning the fish head



Why "Thinking Tsuru"? 

This is a question I hear from friends who cared to ask. "Thinking" is an adjective and is a deliberate choice we do every moment of our lives. Tsuru means crane in Japanese language. And I strive to be "seikaku" meaning "exact" in Kanji.
Tsuru, the legendary flying bird that soars through clouds and skies, is symbolic of longevity and happiness in folklore.
Hence when you piece "Thinking" and "Tsuru", you get " Always deliberating longevity".
That was the branding idea I had and finally put one and one together. 
And the funniest and laughable thing that happened last year was my Japanese Maker friend, Maria Tsuruoka gave me the definition of her surname and I was taught that "Tsuru"+"oka" = "hill of cranes".


What are people's reactions to your work?
Most are bewilderment and astonishment as they have hardly seen such an art form in Singapore. I suppose there is a certain level of shock to it as it is after all, a dead animal's skeletal structure. I have however, received a few reactions of disgust from some who are against animal cruelty and are strictly animal lovers and vegan. 

My favorite audience are children and people who love nature and who appreciate my art. That brings more meaning to what I do and intend to continue pursuing.

Bernice can be contacted at Thinking Tsuru
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

8 comments

  1. Very cool project I would have never thought of upcycling fish bones.
    Have a blessed day
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, learn something new every day. Thanks Agy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, never in a million years would I think to do anything w/ fish bones. Thanks for sharing this info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think you'll be looking at your cooking differently now :-)

      Delete
  5. How unusual and creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks heaps for sharing, Agy! Looking forward to our next Maker Faire booth end November! May we persevere on in making!

    ReplyDelete

no
no