-->
no
no

Four Ways to Wear Your Upcycled Skirt

20 comments



I made this upcycled skirt ages ago and didn't find the time to take photos or write about it. Anyway, yes, you heard right, you can wear your upcycled skirt in FOUR different ways, and it is easy to do. Just make sure that the skirt you have is made of jersey material ie, stretchy and elasticated.  I found mine at the clothes swop that my friend, Donna, had organised for the Fashion Revolution Day. It was one of three items that I had found. Earlier on, I had converted a beautiful print skirt into a tube top, and I was contemplating what to do with the jersey skirt. 





I had borrowed this book, "Cut-Up Couture" by Koko Yamase from the library, and wanted to make the same garment that was illustrated on the cover. Unfortunately, it called for quite a number of large-sized men's jersey tops, which I didn't have and couldn't find at the thrift stores over here - it's too hot over here!  So the project stalled for a while until I came across the jersey skirt at the swop. I thought about doing something similar to Yamase's design.  

[Update: if you want to try out Yamase's version, it's on page 20 of the book]


PS. You can pop over to Rude Record to have a look at what else you can make from Cut-Up Couture!


How to
All it took was cuts at the side, adding two old zippers, and that's it! I had earlier tried to enhance the colours of the skirt using ZIG fabric colour pens.  





Step 1:
Take a t-shirt and place it on the side of your skirt.  Use the t-shirt neckline to determine where you want the skirt to fall on your shoulders using chalk.  I took about 2 inches off each side of my shoulders. 

Use the bottom of the t-shirt to decide how you want the skirt to fall on your hips.




Step 2:
Unpick seams that you have marked off.





Step 3:
I sewed on some zips at the neckline. This facilitates getting into and out of the garment, and it also helps when wearing the skirt in the different styles (as shown below)

Step 4:

Now to wear it in four different ways!
Don't forget to wear a tube top underneath if you're wearing it as a top :-)



One of my fave ways as I am a fan of boat-necked tops! Basically, the left and right arms stick out of the top and bottom of the skirt, respectively.




Similar to Style #2 but one of the shoulders is lowered to under the arm after unzipping one of the zippers.
I think I'll wear it like this if I hit the beach. Other than that, I don't like to reveal too much skin :-)



Had to wear it with a belt this way.  The arms stick out the side of the skirt (the openings that were made in Step 2) and my head pops out of the top of it!


Fave style #2 - unzip the zippers, step into the skirt from the opening made in Step 2. Put one leg through the bottom of the skirt and the other through one of the opened side. You will need to wear short leggings underneath to protect your modesty!


Can you think of other ways to wear this upcycled skirt?
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

20 comments

  1. I'm blown away right now, Agy!!! I wanna make one of these so bad! Wow! Ok, so to begin with, this skirt and its different panels is cool, but transforming it as you did, showcases them so much more, and the draping that happens is lovely...I agree with your #1 & #2 favorite ways to wear :) Gotta find (or make) this skirt/top/shorts from all of the scraps of knit fabric I have laying around. Oh, and I've got plenty of thrifted zippers as well...now, the question is, can I make it before heading off for our weekend away with all of the other things I procrastinated on and have to finish today... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! Can't wait to see yours :-)

      Delete
  2. How original!, Applies to all, I love, a wonderful idea, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beatriz. Inspiration did come from Koko's book. She had made hers from jersey t-shirts!

      Delete
  3. Andrea, you and me both +++ This is a very versatile REfash and I am keen to give it a go. Koko Yamase's book is a gem. Agatha you have styled this beautifully. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super unique!!
    I really like your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Lots of great ideas. Really makes my clothes more versatile. Gonna have another look in my closet......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You never know what you'll find that you can transform easily!

      Delete
  6. WOW! I mean this is awesome! It looks fantastic and my favorites are styles 1 and 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. I don't think I would have thought of all those variations. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! I just love garments that can be worn different ways! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very, very clever and creative, Agy!!! Who would have imagined you would be able to wear the one top in 4 different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agy, I've featured your upcycled skirt today...
      http://www.threadingmyway.com/2014/08/threading-your-way-features_9.html

      Delete
  10. 'Hopping over from your feature at Threading My Way... What a GREAT upcycle! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  11. So creative. Thanks for sharing.

    Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great upcycled/recycled skirt!!! It looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing and linking this to my Weekend Link Party too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great 4-way skirt, Agy! So excited that you have that book; I own the Japanese version Kakkoii Couture Remake, which I bought before the English version came out. I like the book so much that I've done 7 sewing projects so far, and I made a separate DIY Fashion category for Koko Yamase on my blog: http://www.fafafoom.com/koko-yamase-diy/

    Thanks for sharing Agy, lovely work as always,
    Musank
    http://www.fafafoom.com

    ReplyDelete

no
no