-->
no
no

It's a DIY Backpack Cover!

19 comments



When I was making my way to the Handmade Movement Fair two weeks back it was pouring dogs and cats from morning til night. I remember carrying a backpack, a small umbrella and holding onto my son as we made our way up to Fort Canning from the train station.  Fortunately, we didn't get wet but my backpack did.  I'm sure many of us have been in these sorts of situations. So I came up with the idea of upcycling the umbrella fabric from the old Pooh Bear umbrella into a backpack cover!!  





The fabric from this kiddy umbrella had a diameter of 76cm.   For a tutorial on how to dismantle it from the umbrella frame, please click here.



The basics - needle and thread, chalk and measuring tape.



On the right side of the fabric use chalk to mark 1 cm from the edge. 
Turn over fabric and fold along the line that you've just made. Sew with your machine. 
Remember to leave a 2 cm opening.


Take elastic and measure out half of the circumference of the umbrella material. Use safety pin and take it through the tube you have just created. Sew ends of elastic together and sew up hole.  



It's a great way to protect your backpack from the elements of the weather. What's more you can fold and tie it up using the umbrella's original velcro strap! It's just the right size to pop it in your bag.



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

19 comments

  1. Great recycling. I love the fact that when the weather is grey and miserable.....this backpack will be very visible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mezzy. I never thought of it that way, but yes, it definitely is very visible. Might be good for me to put on a reflector strip too. :-)

      Delete
  2. That's a fantastic upcycling idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nueyer. It can fit on the adult backpacks too.

      Delete
  3. Very, very clever! I have so many broken brellies, it seems such a shame to waste the fabric. Fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for the old kiddie umbrella Agy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha awesome! I never would have thought of that, but it seems like it does a great job!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how clever! i love how you folded it and made it more portable. a truly unique creation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome idea! Now I know what to do with my old umbrellas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! :) Now I know why I kept those old fabrics from broken umbrellas! :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so smart! We are moving to a very rainy place soon, I will definitely make a few of these. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such an awesome idea! we're now out of the rainy season, but my daughter's backpack gets wet regularly coming home from school. i'm so doing this and have pinned! thanks for sharing! :) lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I add a link to this page. Take a look here http://donneinpink.blogspot.it/2014/03/come-riciclare-i-vecchi-ombrelli.html I hope you appreciate this! Maddalena.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did this as a project during the holidays and I absolutely adore the result, especially after being so sad when the umbrella broke since I loved the design of fabric. Fantastic idea, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to hear. Thank you for popping over.

      Delete

no
no