I can tie my shoelaces!!

I have been reading this great book about changing behaviour - why we do what we do, temptation (have you ever chosen a burger over a salad?), the mindless choices we make, or how we've been nudged into saving for retirement (mandatory in Singapore). Or, why a lot of us like to recycle (or refashion!), save energy or not litter the streets. 

Photobucket

Anyway, I turned to page 75 of Nudge where it talks about when we need to be nudged and the authors wrote "Nearly everyone over the age of six can tie shoelaces, play a respectable game of tic-tac-toe, and spell the word cat. But only a few of us can tie a decent bow tie, play a masterly game of chess, or spell (much less pronounce) the name of the psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihayli."   It was then I realised, hey, my son is going on seven and he can't do shoelaces!!!  Plus he doesn't have a pair of decent shoes with laces (except for his football boots which have laces a mile long. Not for training small fingers!)

Photobucket
So, out came the scissors (don't grab the ones for sewing!)
an old tissue box and old laces.



Photobucket
Cut the box in half.

Photobucket
The box will fit a child's foot. I think up to the age of 8
going by what I saw. Punch three holes on each side
with a ball point and lace'em up!

 Tie 1 Photobucket
Tie3     Tie 4

Time to try out the laces and practise, practise, practise!!!


Linking up to:
http://www.theimaginationtree.com/

PhotobucketPlaying With Words 365






7 comments:

  1. I remember tying shoes was done of the first great accomplishments of my young life, lol. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea! I have forwarded it to my friend who had kiddos this age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies, thank you for your wonderful comments. My son had a blast learning how to tie them up. He even went round the house with both of the "shoes" on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really love this! As a kindergarten teacher, and a mom of a 5 year old! I am making these this summer for my classroom for practice! I shared a link on a trash to treasure post! THANK YOU!
    http://pinsandprincesses.blogspot.com/2012/04/trash-to-treasure-or-at-least-useful.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taryn, thank you for popping by. Hope the kids enjoy this project. My son loved it. I think one lady mentioned that they would make great skates at home!!

      Delete